AKAIO (AceKard All-In-One) is a custom firmware for the Acekard R.P.G., Acekard 2, and some support for Acekard+. The latest release is AKAIO 1.2
- 1 Features
- 2 Installing and updating
- 3 Start Menu
- 4 Patches
- 5 Options
- 6 .NDS Properties
- 7 Cheats
- 8 Wi-Fi Plugin
- 9 Tips, Tricks, and Button combination
- 10 Links
- 11 Main Authors
- Cheat Improvements - R4/XML Cheat File processing, online updating
- Plug-ins for TXT/MP3/etc.
- "Future Adaptable" Multi-loader support (AK2)
- Multiple Save Slots per title - with copying between slots
- Slot-2 Integration - EZ3in1 (w/GBA Patching) and older FlashAdvance Pro carts
- Shortcut tweaks
- Multi-page Start Menu
- Filetype-based external icon support
- Per-Rom settings for soft-reset/download play/cheats
- Copying/Cutting/Deleting SAV files along with NDS files
- Several improvements to 2byte language support
- SAV backup/restore from within GUI (.SAV<->.BAK)
Installing and updating
Download the latest AKAIO from the link below. If you have the official firmware installed delete __AK2 (or__rpg) and akmenu4 from the root of your memory card. Then move the files __AIO and akmenu4 from the downloaded file and place on the root of your memory card.
The AK2 loader can be used to allow AKAIO to use the official firmware to load games, allowing AKAIO not to update just because a new update fixes game compatibility. To install, the firmware must be placed at "__AIO/ak2loader/". The loader can be renamed freely. To use the loader, select a .NDS file, and open up the .NDS Properties by pressing the Y button or using the Start menu. Then pressing Y again to bring up the .NDS options which allows you to change the loader from AKAIO to whatever the other loader is named.
This option is currently only for AK2, not akRPG
You can also have multiple Cheat DB in your __AIO/cheats folder, you are also able to name them for organizational purposes.
Updating via computer
The latest Cheat DB can be found at cheats.gbatemp.net. AKAIO can use CHEATS.XML, CHEAT.DAT, or USRCHEAT.DAT format. Simply download and place the file at "__AIO/cheats."
Updating via Wi-Fi
Cheats can also be updated via Wi-Fi in AKAIO. It requires the Wi-Fi to be set up in the DS firmware, mostly by using a game that connects to Wi-Fi. The USRCHEAT.DAT update can then be found at Start > Update DB. AKAIO will then automatically download and uncompress the newest cheat database.
A nice feature of the Wi-Fi updater is the option to check 'What's New' before deciding to update by setting 'Get WhatsNew.txt' to 'Enable' in the USRCHEAT Updater window.
For RPG owners, you can also update to the latest savelist.bin via wifi by selecting 'show on load' in the USRCHEAT Updater window.
External icons are supported in AKAIO. They must be in BMP format at 32x32x15bpp. Naming conventions are described below. VatoLoco has compiled icons for the use with the AKAIO, you can find his post here
Per Extension Icons
Icons named with the extension of the file you wish to associate them with can be placed in the "__AIO/icons" directory for global usage, or your skin's "/icons" folder for usage with just that skin (e.g. - "__aio/ui/Adv.Evo/icons") For example, to use a custom icon for all files with a TXT extension, your icon will be named TXT.BMP
Per File Icons
Specific icons can be assigned to specific files in AKAIO. Make a standard 32x32x15bpp BMP icon for the file for which you wish to have a custom icon, and name it the exact name of the file, but with a BMP extension. For example, for the file "Bob's Homebrew Game.nds", you'd have a BMP named "Bob's Homebrew Game.BMP". Be sure to place the icons in the same directory as the file you're assigning them to.
Plugins AKAIO 1.0-1.2
Someone know how to update Plugins?
Interface Theme (Skins)
Skins allow you to customize the look of the AKAIO menu. Skins can be downloaded from Acekard's website. Skins are installed by placing the uncompressed folders at "__AIO/ui". The skin to use is shown at Start > System Options > Interface Themes.
The Start Menu can be accessed by pressing Start or click on the word "Start" on the touchscreen
Start Menu Options
- System Options
- Update DB
Press Start and going to patches brings up a window to change some settings:
- DS Download Play
- Cheat/Action Replay
- Select Cheat Database
Individual games settings can be set differently.
Press Start and select "System options"
- Interface Theme (SKINS)
- Interface Language
- 日本文 (Japanese)
- Francais (French)
- Italiano (Italian)
- Deutsch (German)
- Español (Spanish)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Brightness (DS lite ONLY)
- Set file list type (What files show up)
- Trim ROM when copying
- TXT viewer
- "Plugin" is bliss' text viewer, best by default
- "Internal" is Smiths' text viewer, useful only for small files
While in "System Options" press the Y button for Advance Settings
- Show Hidden files
- Rom Name Type
- Scroll Speed
- Changes the speed of vertical scrolling in the file list
- Copy/Cut SAV with ROM
- Makes sure a .sav (and save slots, if applicable) are copied/cut/pasted along with a ROM
- Delete SAV with ROM
- Makes sure a .sav (and save slots, if applicable) are deleted along with a ROM
- Save Extension
- Defaults to AceKard's standard ".nds.sav" extension
- Best to use ".sav", which is standard amongst other flash carts
- If you have existing .nds.sav files, you can highlight them and select their "Properties" to enable the "Save Extension" button
- This button will convert all ".nds.sav" files (including save slots) to ".sav" (and vice-versa) for the title selected.
- Cheat Scrolling
- Some people don't like the cheat scrolling, so you can disable it here. Notes will still scroll, however.
FAS1 is a Homebrew written by Smiths based off of tftpds (by Sten Larsson and Gustav Munkby). It's for users of older FlashAdvance Pro cartridges who wish to flash programs to their cartridges in Slot-2 from within the AKAIO menu. The menu for FAS1 Options will only function if you have a FlashAdvance Cartridge in Slot-2.
While in Advanced Settings press the Y button for FAS1 options. Enabling "Use Flash Advance Features" will do the following:
- Set .GBA/.BIN/.SAV files as visible in your file listing
- Allow you to select a .GBA/.BIN file and flash it to the cartridge in Slot-2 (.BIN = PogoShell)
- Select a .SAV file to flash to SRAM Bank 1 of the FlashAdvance Cartridge
- Use the Key Combo L+B+A while highlighting "Slot2 Card" in the root file listing to back up SRAM Bank 1 (backs up to /SAVES/ folder as BANK1.SAV)
Note: The "Use Flash Advance Features" is always set to Disabled upon AKAIO startup.
The .NDS Properties window shows up when you press the Y button when you select a .NDS file. Or hit Start > Properties. It will show you:
- .NDS Icon
- Internal Header (The three (or less) lines of text that come with each game).
- .NDS Name
- Last Change Date
- File Size
- Save Type
- Game Code
Should you be using a .DAT file for cheats (by default, USRCHEAT.DAT is included) and the title you are viewing the information of has cheats, a "Cheats" button will be visible on the ROM Info Window as well. You can press the button or hit SELECT to access the cheat list. This button will not appear if you are using a .XML file for cheats.
A shortcut can be created to any .NDS file by pressing X on the Rom Properties Window. A shortcut will then be showed on the first page.
At the .NDS Properties Window, press Y to launch the ROM Info Window. In it you can change individually for each game:
- Save Type
- Save Slot
- DS Download Play (Enabled/Disabled)
- Soft-Reset (Enabled/Disabled)
- Cheat/Action Replay (Enabled/Disabled)
- AK2 Loader (Based on loaders placed in "__AIO/ak2loader")
- Rumble Strength
Additionally, a Slot Copy button appears in a ROM's Info Window. This opens up a sub-window allowing you to copy .SAV files from the slot that is currently being used to any other slot. Should a file already exist for your target slot, an asterisk (*) will appear next to its name.
The Cheat Window, press Start > More > Cheats or Touch the Cheat button on .NDS properties (or the Select button)
How to Enable Cheats
Once you open the Cheat Window, you will see codes that are not sorted into folders first, followed by folders, in a list. Folders can be expanded by press the A button while highlighting it. Pressing the A button while a cheat is highlighted will enable the cheat, or disable it if it is already enabled. Pressing the Start or Select button will save and exit.
The cheat patch needs to be enabled or else the cheats won't work. The patch can be enabled globally at Start > Patches, or individually for each rom at .NDS Properties.
Cheat Window Options
There are two options Rebuild which is the X Button and Select Database (Sel. DB) which is the Y Button.
The Rebuild button will disable all cheats, and update the cheat list to the newest file.
This lets you chose which Database you use in the "__AIO/cheats" folder. The benefit of this is you are able to have the compiled database and able to have a custom or older version in there too.
Start > More > Update DB which will bring up the USRCHEAT updater. Press X or touch Update DB
Tips, Tricks, and Button combination
- Press L+R+B+A+Down on the D-pad while in a Rom to reset to the AKAIO menu.
- To hide files that are not used, copy and paste this: hiddenFileNames = __AIO into a new line in the globalsettings.ini found under __AIO. Then just type a file or folder you do not wish to see in the AKAIO menu screen and separate them by commas.
- (e.g. - hiddenFileNames = __AIO,moonshl,example,example2 )
- You can also Hide files by using the computer's hide feature but some homebrew will not work, so this way is better.
- If your game folder has lots of games it may take a while to load. To speed things up you can separate the games into folders. What some people do is order them into alphabetical folders (A-D, E-I, J-K....) or you can organize them by type of game (Action, Adventure, Platformer, RPG, Shooter...)
- AKAIO 1.2 Release Thread
- GBATemp AceKard Forum
- Normmatt - Kiwi. Low-level + Main guy
- Smiths - drinks a lot
- gelu (zg) - keeps the AceKard RPG useful