GBAtemp Wiki Tutorial
From WikiTemp, the GBAtemp wiki
Revision as of 12:02, 28 February 2007 by Opium
- This tutorial aims to teach you how to use this Wiki, how to create pages, headings, and much much more! It will teach you by providing examples on the most common wiki functions.
- The text, images, and layout you see is created by using a special wiki markup language. Once you know the basic tags and code it is extremely easy to add things to the Wiki and edit pages! Wiki markup is a lot simpler than other markup languages such as HTML. This tutorial will teach you the basics. In addition to this tutorial one of the best ways to learn Wiki markup is to visit a page that has something you want to know how to do on it and click the "edit" button. You can freely see all the wiki markup used to create that page. Remember learn from examples!
- There is no button to create a new page. Pages can generally only be created in two ways.
- Linking to a new page
- Adding the new page to your browser address
Linking to a new page
- Lets say from this page I wanted to create a link to a new page called "Tutorial 1 2 3" and in the process create that page. I would use the following code:
- [[Tutorial 1 2 3]]
- The [[...]] tags signify a link within the wiki.
- Lets create the page now:
- If there is nothing on the page the link will show up in red and the page will simply show an edit box, nothing else. Use the edit box to create the page using Wiki markup. Once the page has something on it the link to it will turn blue.
Adding the new page to your browser address
- The main page of the wiki as it shows up in your browser is http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Main_Page
- Try changing the last part that says "Main_Page" to anything you want eg: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Tutorials_are_fun
- Going to the link will bring you to the non-existant page where you have the ability to click the edit tab and begin creating the page.
- As a general rule using the internal wiki link tags [[...]] is the best way to create a page as it ensures that people will be able to find the page as there is a link to it somewhere.
- The content box you see at the top of this page is created automatically when you have enough headings. To create a heading use the tag:
- == Title Here ==
- Simple as that. The two equals signs either side of text will create the heading. But what if you want to create a sub-heading? Simple:
- === Sub-Title Here ===
- Using three equals signs will create a sub-heading within the original heading. If you want another heading like it again use three equals signs again, or if you want a further sub-sub-heading use four equals signs. To create another normal heading just use two equals signs. The content box at the top of the page will automatically update to show your headings.