- 1 About Moonshell
- 2 To Install Moonshell
- 3 Moonshell's Shortcut Keys
- 4 How To...
- 5 See also
Moonshell 2 is by far the most advanced media player for the DS. (This application is the successor to the original Moonshell.) The author of this application is called Moonlight (or Infinite Paralyser originally). The latest/last version of Moonshell is v2.10.
'Moonshell 2' currently supports the following file formats:
- -Music Formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, TTA, MID, RCP, R36
- -DPG encoded video
- -MOD formats: MOD, IT, MTM, S3M, XM, 669, MED, STM, AMF, GDM, ULT, UNI, ASY, IMF, OKT, STX
- -Chiptune formats: SPC, NSF, GBS, HES, AY, SAP, KSS
- -Playlist formats: M3U, WPL
- -Picture formats: JPG, BMP, GIF (non-animated), PNG, PSD
- -Text Files
Commercial ROM/Games loading
Although Moonlight has never allowed Commercial/Pirate ROMS to run through Moonshell - several people have found different methods to allow it to do so:
- Youtube Video for versions 2.07 to 2.10
- Youtube Video for versions 2.08 to 2.09
- Youtube Video for versions 2.05 to 2.06
Please note that although videos show it's for the DSTT flashcard - it is the same for virtually all other cards EXCEPT Acekards. A guide for setting up 'YSMenu with Moonshell' can also be found Here as well
To Install Moonshell
The easiest way is to download the latest version from Moonlight Website (Current/Final version 2.10).
- Insert your Flashcard microSD card into your PC card reader.
- Either run the EXE or Extract the ZIP file, depending on which version you download.
- In the extracted file is a program called 'Setup.exe' - Run this.
- Select the drive that represents your MicroSD card and click on [Install to ...].
- In the next box place a tick in the 'Open More' box & Select which options you would like (dustbox/Moonmemo/extra languages/plugins, etc)
- Click the Update button to continue.
Moonshell will then install all the necessary files to your MicroSD card.
It is also recommended that after it has been installed - you should run the 'LanguageSelect.exe' file to select the correct language. If you don't use this program - then you should run the 'moonshl2.nds' file FIRST when you've inserted your Flashcard & switched on
- Remove your MicroSD card from your PC & insert into your Flashcard
- Insert into your DSPhat/DSLite/DSi & switch on
- Run either 'moonshl2.nds' or 'moonshl2_directboot.nds' to run
Alternatively you just need to copy over the 'moonshl2' folder & 'moonshl2.nds' and 'moonshl2_directboot.nds' files to the ROOT of your MicroSD Card
Moonshell's Shortcut Keys
- X/Y: Configure Volume
- A: Open File
- B: Return to Previous
- SELECT: Launch Tabs
- START: System Menu
- L+X/Y: Configure Brightness
- L+A/B: Previous/Next Song
- L+R+A: Play all tracks in SD Card
- L+Left: Show MP3 Controls
- L+Up: Pause
- L+R: Pause
- L+Down: Toggle Playback Mode
- L Double Tap: Previous Track
- L Double Tap then Hold: Seek Backward 1%
- L Triple Tap: Pause
- R+Left or Right: Seek Back/Forward by 1%
- R+Up or Down: Seek Back/Forward by 5%
- R+A: Play all Tracks in Folder
- R Triple Tap: Standby Mode
- R Double Tap+Hold: Seek Forward 1%
- R Double Tap: Next Track
Use Moonshell's recycle bin
- Create a folder on the root called 'dustbox'
- (this may already be created if you selected it within the 'setup.exe' program when installing)
- Press the [Start] button for more than 3 seconds to move files to the 'dustbox'.
- Any files deleted from the 'dustbox' folder are totally removed.
- Create a folder called 'moonmemo' in the root of your card.
- When you create and save a 'memo' it creates a *.bmp file in that folder.
- Press and hold your stylus on the item to be removed.
- After about a second, it will be deleted from the menu.
Save a Bookmark
- Open a TXT file for reading
- Press [X] to show 4 'bookmark' save positions
- Select one and press [A] to save your current position
Heck of a job there, it aosblutely helps me out.
To take a screenshot of any moonshell screen
- Ensure there is free space on your SD card.
- Press and hold the SELECT button for three seconds.
- When the screenshot has been saved Moonshell will freeze, so you will have to reboot your DS.
- The screenshot will be saved as a bmp.
- You will need to reset the DS to return back into Moonshell
Note that the 'grab screenshot function' does not work on a DSi on any version of Moonshell EXCEPT v2.10
Change the wallpaper
- Press [Select] to view options for image viewing.
- At the bottom of these options there is one called account for Space between screens. Disable this.
- View the images with Moonshell2.
- Press [Start], they will be set as your new wallpaper.
That's an atstue answer to a tricky question